Monday, April 18, 2011

Q&A with Rick O'Brien (Editor) 4WD 'EXTREME' Magazine


Q: 4WD Extreme is a great new publication in addition to 4WD Action. Why the new mag, and what makes it different to 4WD Action?

Thanks for the kind words! Like 4WD Action, Extreme is put together by a bunch of guys that eat, sleep and breath the extreme 4WD scene. The major point of difference between the two is that Extreme 4WD is dedicated to those who like to push the boundaries of what a 4WD is capable of. We like to challenge ourselves and our rigs to the max!

Q: What's your ride? Have you made any changes or modifications to it? Do you have any plans for other mods in the future?

At the moment I am wheeling a 95 XJ Cherokee. It is running a 4.5in lift, 32in muddies, lockers front and rear and a host of other enhancements and goodies. Plans for the future include a larger tyre (undecided about size at the moment) and I’d love to re-power the beast with either a stroked Jeep engine, or make the jump to a V8 of some description.

Q: No expense spared, what is your 'dream' 4WD?

Jeez, that is such a tough question! I’d love to build a VW Beetle-bodied Rangie with Maxi Drive portal axles and V8/auto trans. The transfer case would be an Atlas II. I’d keep the tyre size to a modest 40in, probably a sticky Trepadore. When can we start?

Q: What is the best off-road destination you have been to, and where else would you love to go?

It’s hard to go past the Coffs Coast for that elusive combination of sheer beauty and challenging tracks. There is tougher wheeling closer to home, but none of it is as stunning as Coffs.

I’d love to go and take a look at the Cape before too long, I want to see what all the fuss is about!

Q: What is your favourite beer and camp-cooked meal?

This might take you by surprise, but I go alright with the tongs in hand. I actually used to own an Italian restaurant, so it would have to be one of my pasta dishes. So how about a creamy Tortellini Boscaiolia with a side of crunchy garlic bread, washed down with a can of Bonded Beam & Cola? Sorry, Im not a beer drinker.

Q: What is the best part about your job at 4WD Extreme, and what is the hardest?

Without question the best part of my job is getting to drive some of the wildest rigs in the country! I have been lucky enough to wheel nearly a dozen Tuff Truck competitor’s rigs, a real Monster Truck and a couple of tough club-level rigs.

The hardest part of my job? Switching off when I get home is tough because I just love what I do. I am always thinking about the next track, the next rig or the next mod to my truck. It never stops!

Q: What other things are you interested in? (sports, hobbies, music - anything?)

I am a mad fisho! A tragic! I used to compete in a lot of forum-based Bream comps and I have spent countless hours chasing fish up and down the NSW coast.

Even though I can barely play, I love guitars! I had nine at one point, but I have faced the harsh reality that I am not going to be a rock star, and I now own just two.

Probably the only other thing that I do a lot of is cooking. As I mentioned earlier, I used to have a restaurant back in the 90’s and I like to get the boys around for a BBQ whenever I can to cook up an old favorite or try out some new ideas. Italian is the specialty, but seafood is the fave!

No comments:

Post a Comment